Refined outdoor living

Contact Us

Installing The Highest Quality Log Cabins And Garden Buildings In The UK.


Find Us
Highfield Garden World, Bristol Road
Whitminster, Gloucestershire



Barewood Buildings LTD

Delivery, Installation & FAQ’s

Will I need planning permission?

(This is in no way binding and is dependent on Local Authorities, but may be used as a guide)

Applications for approval normally involves a fee, normally related in some way to the value of the development.

Where the development is more than just a simple extension, it is worth employing an architect to draw up the plans, submit them to the Local Authority, obtain approval and once approved oversee the work. A licensed architect will have professional insurance in case anything should go wrong.

Every application for Planning Permission or Building Regulations is unique. It is always a good idea to consult your local planning/building control officers early to avoid any problems. If work is carried out without then necessary approvals, the local authority can issue an enforcement notice requiring (best scenario) retrospective approval or (worst scenario) demolition of the work completed. Normally Planning Permission or Building Regulation approval is not required provided that:

  • Garden Shed and Greenhouses do not cover more than half of the area of the garden; not including the area occupied by the house.
  • It contains no sleeping accommodation and the floor area does not exceed 15 square metres.
  • No point is less than one metre from a boundary
  • It is not more than 3m high for a flat roof, or 4m with a ridged roof
  • Overall height from ground level to ridge must not exceed more than 2.5 metres within 2 metres range of any boundary. A building with an overall height exceeding 2.5 metres and placed within 2 metres of any boundary will require planning permission.
  • The outdoor build should only be used by those who occupy the house.
  • Log Cabins should be more than 5 metres from the main dwelling and only up to 50% of the garden can be used to house this building.
  • Verandas must not be higher than 30cm from ground level.
  • Building Regulations do state that structures built of combustible material (i.e. wooden shed) must be at least 2 metres away from the main house.

If at all in doubt contact your local authority for clarification. No charge will be made if planning permission is not required.

What is FSC?

FSC is the Forest Stewardship Council’s trademark label on timber and wood products that indicates its timber content comes from well managed forests.

The FSC Trademark enables customers to buy timber and other wood products, such as paper, with the confidence that they are not contributing to the destruction of the world’s forest.